Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Wake Up America!

The United States of America has now become the brainwashed country of the world. There is a huge difference between political philosophies and political parties. Some people are conservative and some are liberal in their views. Political parties are more like a sports rivalry that Americans get spoon fed to fire you up. Political parties know their voting demographic like a sniper's cross hair on your head. During campaigns politicians say and do things to coddle to the beliefs of a certain type of people. This is why politicians hire these highly intelligent campaign operatives. They shape and mold a candidate to what they think voters want to hear. Why do you think when a politician is elected that they do vastly different things than they've talked about in their campaign? Voting for our politicians in the end is a gamble because we never really know what their agenda is until elected.

First lets talk about the two major political parties of our country. We have Democrats and Republicans who are the choices we have for the President of the United States. If you look at the history of these two parties they have changed back and forth. The reason they have changed throughout history is because their voting demographic has changed. Politicians and parties shape their policy views based on what is popular with their constituents. For example lets talk about the Iraq War. If the majority of people in this country supported the war overwhelmingly, do you really think Democrats would be opposed to keep pursuing it? Lets look at the Economic crisis right now. Do you really believe that Republicans in their campaigns will push for more deregulation? It's all about voters and adopting policies that is popular with their voting demographic. Whenever a political party adopts a new policy position, they have to sell it to the American people. They brainwash their voters with their talking points, that are repeated religiously. If you hear something repeatedly, you will eventually begin to believe it. The majority of people who believe in these talking points, don't follow politics very much. The vast majority of the country doesn't follow politics which is exactly what parties want. They prey on the uninformed because they know the people who are knowledgeable in politics, know better. Republicans and Democrats are both guilty of these practices and there is no innocent politicians associated with a party.

I openly admit that I am more liberal in my views. I also admit when I was younger that I would believe that Republicans were the enemy and everything they did was evil. This is because I never really had a huge interest in politics when I was younger and would just believe everything Democrats told me. Now I believe that both Republicans and Democrats are equally deceptive in their agendas to brainwash their voters. The politicians have to go along side with one of these parties because campaigns cost money and the parties have a ton of it. Each party uses fear and doubt about their rivals to win a election. In the end we really don't know who we are voting for. Like I said it's a gamble because each candidate in their mind has their own agenda on how they want to shape our country. Once they are elected they don't have to worry about their voting demographic as much until it is nearing election season once again. Now that I am more informed, I try to vote for the politician that meets my core beliefs not what a party says I should. If the Republican party in the future starts to appeal to my beliefs, they would get my vote. I firmly believe that a politicians past will determine their agenda for the future. So America wake up and research your candidate, so that political parties will stop the deception!

3 comments:

  1. Of course major parties know what to target for their parties. They target their campaign policies to the largest demographic within their own party. Why do you think McCain's campaign has leaned away from policy negotiation and tends to focus more on rival slander? It would appear he's attempting to further polarize the Republican voting base as much as he can to ring in more voters. I think it has become apparent he cannot get as much of the independent voters as he would like. But I digress from the topic at hand. This is why I tend to vote on policy matters, and not who "I would like to have a beer with."

    The predominantly bipartisan system makes it difficult to transition out of said system due to the polarizing nature of the parties and their campaigns. As you stated in a previous post, it is easy if done properly to prey upon someone's emotions to win their vote. Granted, both parties use such tactics, although in this Presidential campaign period it feels as if the emotions are being treated differently by each side. One side is inciting feelings in an aggressive respect, while the other is trying to reassure in a calmer tone. It hardly seems like a logical way to campaign, I agree.

    As long as there are people who are so strong in their personal convictions to not consider other options, we will have to deal with such campaigning methods. You cannot expect logic and reason to predicate the electoral system until people really understand what they are voting for. In order for people to really understand what they are voting for, we need more transparency from these candidates and/or the legislation they back/support/oppose/contest.

    Independent thought is a fantastic thing when you want to vote for what you want. Unfortunately, independent thought can be counter-intuitive in some cases. Slander and emotions aside, the larger Independent groups share similar policy issues with Democrats much of the time, and others with the Republicans less of the time (from what I can assume to date). Voting independently can cut into one party or the other's voting base, although it predominantly appears to be cutting into Democratic voters. So the independent thought is a great thing, but you have to sacrifice much of it in this bipartisan system we live in today.

    I voted for Nader during the last presidential election. Alas, it really made no difference one way or the other (my state was red as hell), although I was pleased with neither of the partisan candidates. This election, I can at least associate with many of Obama's campaign points. But stronger yet, I cannot imagine the blatant hypocrisy of McCain coupled with the naive and inexperienced Palin could be good for this nation. I feel I'm forced to vote in a partisan fashion instead of voting for my ideal candidate. So much for my personal independent thought this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that people should vote for a candidate based on their beliefs rather than what a party tells them. I'm stating don't buy into the party rhetoric and actually research your candidates. Uninformed people vote with party lines rather than their own principles. We need to stop sending the same names and politicians into office just because if they have a "D" or a "R" next to their name. Most uninformed people can't name their own State Senators and Congressman lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I didn't mean to go all gung-ho crazy about the topic...just been too frustrated with the politics as of late and ran away with myself.

    I'll be one of the first to admit I wasn't even aware of who my House Rep and other senator (in NY you'd almost have to be clinically retarded to not know Hillary Clinton is one of your senators) until this year when I finally got agitated about some legislature going through Congress.

    So let me add this additional plug; actually research your candidates, and while you're at it take some time to research Congressional bills, too. Speak up and email your representation if it's something you don't approve of. Congress.org makes it very easy to email your reps if you want to give them your opinion. After the House's snafu with their webserver coming to a screeching halt until email load, it's a sign that people are using this to contact their reps.

    Baby steps people! C'mon! :D

    ReplyDelete